Saturday, April 12, 2014

Just Us Girls #236 Technique


Welcome to this week's Just Us Girls Challenge



Lisa is our hostess this week with a wonderful Technique Challenge.  We are to create a watercolor background.  What a fun technique this was to try!  I had just watched a video at Make It Monday on this very subject, so I'm including a link for reference.


I used Gina K. Designs Pure Luxury White 120 lb. card stock for the background.  The water does tend to warp it a little, but with lots of tape, it lays really flat.  The watercolors I used were Pearlescent.  I first brushed a little water on the card stock, and then dabbed the watercolors on it.  After that completely dried, I brushed a light yellow coating over the top to soften the colors a little.  I used the Spellbinders Marvelous Squares dies to cut the background panel for my focal image.  The beautiful Crocus stamp is one of Theresa Momber's called Signs of Spring, available at Gina K. Designs.  I colored these with Copic markers and fussy cut.

GKD Signs of Spring
Pearlescent Water Colors
Spellbinders Marvelous Squares
Copic YR15, YR 18, G43, G82
Offray Gold ribbon
Recollections pearls

Please visit the Just Us Girls page to see the beautiful cards the rest of the team and our GD, Lee Anne Cross, have come up with using the Water Color Background Technique.  I hope you will be inspired and want to play along.

Just a reminder: If you win Chic of the Week in any of our April challenges, you are in the running to be chosen as our Guest Designer for the month of June. 


13 comments:

  1. Your framing goes perfectly with the beautiful water colored background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, subtle water coloured background. Great crocuses too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your background, it is so dream-like! It makes for a beautiful backdrop for those gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharyn, love the soft pastel background...the perfect backdrop for those gorgeous blooms! Your die cut squares are just lovely...what a great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coloring on the flowers is so real and the shading that you did on the BG just makes them all the more amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! You did a wonderful job with you watercolor background. I love the orange you used on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flowers look amazing against that background! I never thought to put water down first...going to have to try that sometime soon! Really pretty card! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty Sharyn. I love that background, and you have colored the crocus beautifully! Great use of that stamp - just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers and background. Love the pretty diecuts you used also.
    Thank you so much for the gorgeous cards you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers and background. Love the pretty diecuts you used also.
    Thank you so much for the gorgeous cards you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is FANTASTIC! So lovely, so Springy! Gorgeous colors and coloring and your dies are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This card is so beautiful and springy! It says Happy Easter to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your card and the subtle water color background is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments. I always appreciate hearing from you.