Saturday, July 12, 2014

Just Us Girls #249 - Trend


This is Trend week over at Just Us Girls!  Cheryl is hosting, and she has chosen the Trend of Wood Grain. So, the challenge this week is to use wood grain on your card.


I was walking through JoAnn Fabrics and came across a display of DCWV stencils.  This wood grain stencil was on the top, and I couldn't resist.  I used Dap Fast 'N Final Lightweight Spackling mixed with some ground up gray chalk as my paste.  It worked beautifully and left a wonderful texture on the card.  (I bought an 8 oz. container for about $2 at Walmart).  The focal image is a gorgeous digi image from Power Poppy. When I saw the beautiful Geraniums, I had to have it.  I colored them with Copic markers.  I fussy cut the flowers and leaves and mounted them on a Flourishes Perfectly Pierced Classic Window Template die cut.  I added a light purple ribbon and bow.  The sentiment is on the inside of the card.  It reads - Earth Laughs in Flowers - Ralph Waldo Emerson.


Please stop by the Just Us Girls page to see the wonderful cards the rest of the team and our GD, Rebekka, have come up with this week.  I hope you will be inspired and want to try this fun trend of wood grain.  We would love to see your creations.

My supplies:
Power Poppy Geraniums Digi
DCWV Wood Grain Stencil
Flourishes Perfectly Pierced Classic Window Template Die
GKD Pure Luxury White, Vibrant Violet & Wild Lilac CS
Dap Fast 'N Final Lightweight Spackling
Gray chalk

I'm, also, entering this in the Power Poppy Challenge

21 comments:

  1. LOVE your background that you have created, looks awesome and the color came out great! That image is beautiful, glad to see you got the digi to cooperate! (now I must add that spackling to my craft list--peer pressure and all) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharyn, your flowers are stunning against the die cut panel and the white woodgrain! So beautifully colored!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHARYN!!! OMGosh - this is stunning! Your coloring is just beautiful - have you been taking classes or does it come natural? Love the total trend look with the textured wood grain too -- AMAZING card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So much love and work went into this card! So cool that you mixed the spackling with chalk! I would have never thought of that!!! Gorgeous creation my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully colored digi - I am lovin' those Power Poppy images. And your textured background is awesome, great soft colors here. I have never tried the spackling, but what a great idea to use the ground up chalk. This is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh Sharyn this is absolutely gorgeous!!! You really did a great job with the Copics. I like using digi stamps but sometimes it gets a little frustrating getting them sized just right....you know with my lack of computer knowledge and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning Sharyn! I love that digi and your wood grain has certainly turned out beaurifully. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely, Sheryl! The colors are outstanding and the design is so creative. Love your layering and the stenciling is perfect for the BG too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful Sheryl! Love the design and beautiful coloring on those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love how you created your woodgrain bg...very clever! And the flowers are colored so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty. I love the flowers mixed with the woodgrain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The woodgrain is a beautiful backdrop for the geraniums! Love that purple satin ribbon too! Lovely creation! Thanks again for joining us at Power Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your stenciled woodgrain turned out beautifully! I love when you can improvise on products. Beautiful coloring on those beautiful flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty. I love the fussy cutting. That took some patience. You did a great job on this card. Thanks for joining us at Power Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Oh I love the delicate touches of purple and wonderful design!!! Thank you so much for joining us at Power Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is gorgeous. The spackle tip is handy. I would never have thought of that. It worked so well and I love that you colored it with the ground up chalk. So creative. Your coloring and shading is beautiful. The flowers look so real.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! you got a lot of comments on this card. It is because it is so unique and beautiful. Your flowers look so real and the BG is so original. Where did you get the idea for the chalk in the paste?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sharyn, this one is really totally amazing! Love your soft coloring and the background you created. I have a hard time getting Copics to look so soft and pretty, but you aced it. Wonderful job on this! Again, so happy you could join us at Power Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Geraniums just pop against your beautifully textured wood grained background Sharyn! What a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my --- this card is absolutely gorgeous! I love, love, love the soft purple you used to set off these beautifully colored geraniums. And that wood grain background? Just the right splash of texture! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments. I always appreciate hearing from you.