Saturday, March 8, 2014

Just Us Girls #231 - Technique


Welcome to this week's Just Us Girl's Challenge

Sharyn here with this week's Technique Challenge.  I've chosen a fun technique called Weathered Wood Background.  If you have not done this before, I've added a video to help you get started. 

Here's my card

For my first card, I wanted to do the wood background in pretty beachy colors.  I chose to use Gina K. Designs Turquoise Sea, Memento Gray Flannel & Summer Sky inks to create the background. The wreath is from Impression Obsession. I cut it using GKD Kraft card stock trying to give it a more grapevine feel. The Easter Eggs are from Verve. The nice people at Verve sent this stamp to me as a thank you for a purchase I made.  I colored it with Copic markers.  The Happy Easter sentiment is from GKD Basket Blessings stamp set.  

GKD Basket Blessings
Verve Easter Egg Stamp
Lil' Inkers Stitched Sentiment Flag 
Impression Obsession Wreath die
GKD Turquoise Sea & Black Onyx
Memento Gray Flannel & Summer Sky ink
Offray white ribbon
GKD Berry Blues button


I try to work several weeks ahead and at the time I made this card it was very much in the dead of Winter. As I was getting ready to post it, I thought I should have made a card more suited to Spring, so I created the Easter Egg Wreath card.  I thought I would go ahead and show this one as a second example. I used a stamp set from PTI called Two Feet Deep....love these snowshoes!  The background was made using Pumice Stone & Black Soot Distress inks.  I love that pop of bright red and the gingham bow.

PTI Two Feet Deep stamps
Lil' Inkers Stitched Sentiment Flag & Stitched Oval dies
Distressed Ink Pumice Stone & Black Soot
GKD Pure Luxury White, Black Onyx and Red Hot CS
GKD gingham ribbon

Please stop by the Just Us Girls page to see the beautiful cards the rest of the team and our GD, Calypso, have created this week.  I hope you will be inspired and want to try this fun technique.  We would love to see what you create!

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Both of your cards are delightful! And the worn wood backgrounds always make me think of the older Cape Cod Cottages I see everyday! These are beauties, your technique looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Easter wreath is so cute and happy. The snowshoe card is terrific. I love the weathered wood background and the ribbon really sets it off, Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards -- Your blue weathered wood is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Sharyn, you did a great job with this technique. Love both of your cards. The wreath with the eggs is so pretty and springy. Love the colors on the 2nd card. The red does pop with the grays. The background actually looks like wood planks. I wil have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both your cards :) The snowshoe one is perfect for winter and the wreath you crated is fabulous on the turquoise BG. Great technique - had fun using it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice spring card. Love the egg wreath. is it all one die, or did you put the eggs on top of a wreath? What ever you did, it works. I just wanted your secret. I'm still pondering over what stamps to buy from PTI, but I really like with you did with the cute snow shoes. Thanks for the inspiration again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are fantastic! I love the different versions of wood. Love that beachy wood background, hopefully summer will come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your cards are fabulous and beautiful! I especially like the Easter eggs wreath so springy ! Have a Blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl....you really have out done yourself! Not only did you pick the greatest technique for us...both of your cards are AMAZING! Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your seasonal cards! They are gorgeous! Great technique too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments. I always appreciate hearing from you.